The Communications Internship Programme involves successful candidates in a full range of Demos' communications and external relations activities. We are looking for undergraduates and recent graduates of any discipline who are interested in pursuing a career in journalism, public affairs, new media or publishing. Candidates should have some experience in one or more of these areas and be a confident communicator.
This internship is only possible for those who are able to work full time.
This is a fantastic opportunity to build on your communications skills in a dynamic environment. You’ll be exposed to a wide range of organisations and individuals we work with on a daily basis – anyone from government departments to community organisations, newspaper journalists to NGOs.
As Communications Intern you will work alongside Demos’ Communications team, responsible for events, marketing, media relations, publications and web editing. The role is very varied, but your day-to-day responsibilities include activities such as:
- Contributing to the ongoing development of our website, www.demos.co.uk, and our blog.
- Assisting with Demos’ media relations activity – Every day, our people and publications feature in the media, from The Guardian and The Times to the Today Programme and breakfast television.
- Helping to plan events and organise and run seminars and workshops – We run a wide range of events, with recent speakers having included David Cameron, David Miliband and Nobel Laureate Professor Amartya Sen.
- Helping in the publishing process - Demos produces over 30 reports, books and pamphlets every year, written by Demos researchers and associates as well as external authors, including senior politicians, journalists and expert commentators.
- Writing and editing copy for the newsletter – Our monthly email newsletter on current and forthcoming projects - anything from Extremism and Violenceto the Capabilities Programme - and emerging ideas from Demos.
- Analysing the success of current projects and events, and contributing to the future strategic development of Demos.
- Office administration - all our interns help out with the day-to-day working of the office, assisting with tasks such as mail-outs, photocopying and answering the telephone.
- Having fun - At Demos we work hard but we also play hard, you'll work hard during the day and spend the evenings relaxing in the pub with the other interns and staff or if you're in luck we'll adjourn to the park for an impromptu picnic.