Measuring poverty: can we gain a better understanding?
- 8th October 2012, 09:00AM
- Jurys Inn, Room 110, Birmingham
In the light of the government's imminent consultation on a new measure of child poverty, join Demos to discuss the challenges of defining and measuring poverty, the pros and cons of using the poverty line versus more multi-dimensional measures, and the key question - will changing our measure of poverty help the government - national and local - tackle it?
It will include a presentation of Demos's ongoing work on developing a multi-dimensional poverty measure, including the challenges researchers have faced and the findings regarding people's understanding and perception of income-based poverty.
Speakers will include:
- Shaun Bailey, Government advisor and Conservative Party activist
- Claudia Wood, Deputy Director, Demos
- Christian Guy, Managing Director, Centre for Social Justice
- Phil Collins, Chair of Trustees, Demos (chair)
This event will take place on Monday 8 October at 9:00-10:30 in Room 110, Jurys Inn, Birmingham.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow this event on Twitter with #demospoverty