Research Director, CASM
Carl is the Research Director of the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media (CASM) at Demos.
He is interested in how social media is changing society and politics, and how it can be used to inform decisions. This includes:
– Social media and the General election
– Digital democracy
– Building new methods and technology to study social media data
– Understanding events through social media
– Cyber-bullying, hate crime, misogyny and abuse online
– Bitcoin and crypto-currencies
– Identity and belief in a digital world
– Evidence-based decision-making using real-time social media research, modelling and prediction
Carl writes on social media and the 2015 General Election for the Sunday Times, and is a Visiting Research Fellow at the Policy Institute, King’s College London. He studied History at Cambridge, and holds the top MA distinction (2009) in War Studies from King’s College, London.